Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Autism consumes me

Hi there,

  I promised to let everyone know what I have been up to these past months.  Well I decided it was time to move forward and start a business that I had been dreaming of.  So I did just that.  My new business which officially opened on June 30, 2010 is called Katrinkets.  Simple Solutions for Stressful Sensory Situations.
  For those of you who are not familiar with me, I am a mother to four beautiful children.  My youngest is autistic.  I have been in the medical field for a long time and I have worked with children as well as adults with various forms and levels of functioning Autism in the past.  My son is the one that made me decide to start my own business.  Watching him and learning from just observing him has made me a more patient individual a person who can think more outside the box a person who is never ever willing to give up.  I look for solutions to make his day more successful as well as everyone who will come in contact with him.  My business is wonderful cause I offer many activities out in the community.  I have established Yoga classes, a bi weekly bowling league as well as sensory showings at a local movie theater.  For those of you who do not know what a sensory showing is well its simple, it means if they need to have dim lights on there will be dim lighting if the volume needs to be adjusted for their sensitive hearing it will be adjusted, if they need to walk around, fidget, and talk they are free to do that.
  I also offer kits for Firefighters, police, emts, therapist, teachers, parents, and the child, well quite frankly for anyone who could benefit.  The kits for professionals are kits to help them communicate as well as offer comfort to the child.  It is truly all in the approach if you are calm and even tempered your results will be a lot better.  They need structure and routine.  But basically in a nutshell here is what a kit contains and yes you may order these through me and yes they do have a copy right.

The kits:
all come in a binder that act as a white board with a dry erase marker
they all come with a social story and yes you can have more social stories made up
they all come with an emoticon sheet so that if they are non verbal or just not wanting to answer they can communicate by circling their answer
it has a communication sheet
tip sheet for parents
tip sheet for child
and we provide two sensory toys to help with fidgeting and boredom as well as oral stimulation if that is a problem
we do have many other great tools to help with those stressful times.  The second half of the business is the center that I am currently still in the process of opening.  It will be open a total of 26 hours a week.  The goal with the center is to have many activities to help with socialization skills.  We will have arts and crafts, plays even for those who are non verbal, music sessions, free play, other services from outside coming in to interact, story telling and imaginative play sessions.   So please feel free to reach out to me with questions I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment